We talk about flying the traffic pattern, and talk in detail about flying a Cessna 172 in the traffic pattern. For example, many people don’t know the exact meaning of “Make Right Traffic.” It means, fly to a position where you can enter the traffic pattern on the 45, then turn to downwind and fly the traffic pattern. It doesn’t mean to enter on the downwind. And of course you should be at pattern altitude when you’re on the 45. We also talk about doing a forward slip in a Cessna 172 and use of flaps during crosswind landings.
Air Canada flight 759 had a near miss last week, when it inadvertently lined up to land on a taxiway instead of on the runway. We talk about how confirmation bias may have contributed to the lack of awareness that the Air Canada pilots had about their situation.
We also talk about a recent fatal Cirrus SR22 crash in Sonoma, California, and the importance of never pulling the parachute below 400 feet, as it will most likely make things worse! I give details about a recent flight I took from El Paso, Texas to Concord, CA with the new owner of a Cessna 206. We postponed the trip because of a heat wave 3 weeks ago.
Plus listener questions about using flaps during crosswind landings and whether you can fly if you’re legally using medical marijuana.
Click here for the survey. Tell us which plane you fly most often. Please visit my new Patreon page and help me with my goal of funding the creation of two apps for my show, one for Apple and one for Google Play, so that non-techie pilots can find the show in the app store.
- CBO: ATC Privatization would add $20.7 Billion to Deficit over 10 Year
- Airlines Get Exemption from ADS-B 2020 Mandate
- Animation of Air Canada Near Miss at SFO Shows It was Extremely Close
- Cirrus SR22T – Low Level Chute Pull Killed Pilot
- ForeFlight Releases Jeppesen Chart Option
- ForeFlight Introduces New Dual-Band ADS-B Receiver
- Garmin Announces New Retrofit Autopilots
- Garmin debuts all-in-one portable ADS-B and SiriusXM Aviation receiver
- Kitfox introduces Speedster
- Former Anheuser-Busch CEO Arrested In Helicopter Incident