Please take the Aviation News Talk podcast 2017 Listener survey! Click here for the survey.
In this podcast, we talk about hot props, magnetos, and how moving a propeller can result in your death. I had never seen a video of a propeller starting accidentally, but while researching this episode I found one, and I’ve included a link to it here. You’ll see that pilot was shocked when the engine started and that he barely escaped serious injury.
We also talk about magnetos, which are the culprits that can lead to a hot prop. We’ll discuss the mag check that most pilots do during their runup before takeoff, and how to use it to make sure you don’t have a hot prop. I wanted to talk about this because I run into many experienced pilots who are not aware of how to determine whether they have a hot prop, or of safe ways to move a propeller by hand.
- NTSB: Jet made late approach maneuver before deadly crash
- High-tech airship is under construction in a Silicon Valley hangar
- Virginia Man Pleads Guilty To Selling Parts From Marine One Squadron
- Travolta Gives 707 To Museum
- Jet owned by Elvis auctioned after sitting 35 years
- Top Gun Sequel Coming ‘Soon’ To A Theater Near You
Plus listener email: A Private pilot asks how much flight instruction he can legally and safely give to his wife who is a student pilot.