179 Eight Lessons Pilots Can Learn from the United 328 Engine Failure + GA News
Your Cirrus Specialist. Call me if you’re thinking of buying a new Cirrus SR20 or SR22. Call 1-650-967-2500 for Cirrus purchase and training assistance, or to take my online seminar: So You Want to Fly or Buy a Cirrus.
Send us an email
If you have a question you’d like answered on the show, let listeners hear you ask the question, by recording your listener question using your phone.
179 Max talks about the eight lessons that any pilot can learn about handling emergencies from the United 328 engine failure. The first one is to Wind the Clock, which means to take a moment to collect your thoughts instead of rushing to take an action that might be wrong. Later Max Flight of the Airplane Geeks podcast talks about jet engine failures. Plus listener feedback and questions.
Max’s Lessons from United 328 Engine Failure
1. Wind the Clock
2. Notify ATC
3. Run Your Emergency Checklists
4. Ask for Delay Vectors
5. In some cases you may want to stay higher while dealing with the emergency
6. Answering ATC questions might not be your highest priority
7. Stay Close to an Airport!
8. Monitor Your Position and Guide ATC instructions
- FedEx and Sikorsky quietly begin single-pilot tests for cargo airliners
- VFR Charts to go on a 56-Day Cycle
- Mass Layoffs Said To Hit Terrafugia Flying Car
- Pipistrel’s concept for 20-seat zero-emission Miniliner
- Airplane-Effect Snow Falls Near Dallas
- Surf Air Mobility Acquiring Electric Aviation Pioneer Ampaire
- Rogue FAA Employee Offered to ‘Commit Treason’ For China
Mentioned in the Show
Runway on New Hampshire’s Lake Winnipesaukee
Jason Blair blog post on Landing on Ice
NTSB Update: United 328 Boeing 777 Engine Incident
Wind the Clock – IFR Magazine
Wild Matilda website
Wrong Engine Shutdown Causes Global Express Fatal
Thirty Thousand Feet Aviation Directory
Airplane Geeks Podcast
The UAV Digest
ABCDE Engine Failure Checklist
Max Trescott’s GPS and WAAS Instrument Flying Handbook
If you love the show and want more, visit my Patreon page to see fun videos, breaking news, and other posts in the Posts section. And if you decide to make a small donation each month, you can get some goodies!
So You Want To Learn to Fly or Buy a Cirrus seminars
Online Version of the Seminar Coming Soon – Register for Notification
Check out our recommended ADS-B receivers, and order one for yourself. Yes, we’ll make a couple of dollars if you do.
Check out Max’s Online Courses: G1000 VFR, G1000 IFR, and Flying WAAS & GPS Approaches. Find them all at: https://www.pilotlearning.com/
Get Max Trescott’s G1000 and Perspective Glass Cockpit Handbook, now in its Fifth edition. Call 800-247-6553 to order.
Max Trescott is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.