91 Lessons Learned in a Cirrus SF50 Vision Jet flying STARs or IFR Arrival Procedures + GA News
Your Cirrus Specialist. Call me if you’re thinking of buying a new Cirrus SR20 or SR22. Call 1-650-967-2500 for Cirrus purchase and training assistance.
Send us an email – http://www.sjflight.com/Forms/inquiry.htm
If you have a question you’d like answered on the show, let listeners hear you ask the question, by recording your listener question using your phone.
Flyings IFR STARS or Arrival Procedures
91 Max talks in detail about IFR Arrival Procedures, also called STARs. These are ATC-coded IFR route for IFR aircraft flying to a specific airport. There are different kinds of clearances you can get on an Arrival. If you’re cleared to “descend VIA” an Arrival, then you can descend at pilot discretion to reach all of the published altitudes for each fix.
Some key takeaways for pilots should be:
1. Read the Arrival charts ahead of time to find all altitude and speed restrictions.
2. Don’t descend automatically on an Arrival unless you been issued a Descend Via clearance by ATC.
3. If you’re not able to make a speed or altitude crossing restriction, notify ATC as soon as possible.
4. When loading an Arrival into your GPS, be aware that you may have to load a transition, even if you’re not flying on a transition, but have been cleared directly to the fix for which the Arrival procedure is named.
5. Use the FLC or IAS mode on the autopilot to meet speed restriction while descending.
If you love the show and want more, visit my Patreon page to see fun videos, breaking news, and other posts in the Posts section. And if you decide to make a small donation each month, you can get some goodies!
Check out our recommended ADS-B receivers, and order one for yourself. Yes, we’ll make a couple of dollars if you do.
Please Take our 2018 Listener Survey. I’d love to get your feedback and ideas for improving this podcast.
Mentioned in the Show
Aviation News Talk episode #66 on Departure Procedures
- Search for Missing CFI Mom
- Missing CFI’s fiancé arrested
- FAA partial shutdown
- Electric Helicopter Flies Record 30 NM
- Aviation community worries about possible effects of 5G in C-Band
- FCC Bans Certification, Sale of 121.5 MHz ELTs
- Senators Call For Funding Of Contract Tower Airports
- MICHIGAN BILL WOULD LIMIT FLYING CLUB OPERATIONS
- Mandatory ID for all flights in UK govt Aviation Green Paper
- Rajkot girl robs own house of lakhs to fund boyfriend’s pilot training course