134 How to Avoid CFIT, Controlled Flight Into Terrain Accidents + GA News
Your Cirrus Specialist. Call me if you’re thinking of buying a new Cirrus SR20 or SR22. Call 1-650-967-2500 for Cirrus purchase and training assistance, or to take my online seminar: So You Want to Fly or Buy a Cirrus.
Send us an email
If you have a question you’d like answered on the show, let listeners hear you ask the question, by recording your listener question using your phone.
134 Max talks about several CFIT accidents, including a recent crash of a SR22 near Las Vegas. He also talks about why you might still hit terrain when getting ATC vectors during VFR flight. He also talks about relative terrain tools available in the cockpit and in EFB apps such as ForeFlight and Garmin Pilot, and how they can help keep you safe.
- Almost 80,000 GA aircraft ADS-B equipped
- Test your ADS-B compliance
- ADS-B Privacy Now Available
- Owners Seek Battery ADS-B in Nonelectric Aircraft
- Change to Process for Taking FAA Written Exams
- FAA to decommission HIWAS in January
- Flight Service debuts new mobile-friendly site for iPhone and Android
- OpenAirplane, FlyOtto Shut Down Operations
- FAA Issues Important Charter Guidance to Pilots and Passengers
- ForeFlight adds cloud top forecasts and new IFR features
- Applications now open for more than $100,000 in scholarships
- Nitrogen Line Explodes at Wichita Beechcraft Plant
- Teen steals plane and crashes it into building at Fresno airport
- Dog rescue flies in to KGMU
Mentioned in the Show
Sedona YouTube Video on Fly with the Guys Channel
FAA’s website to request a Public ADS-B Performance Report
AEA Scholarships Application
Nov 2019 Las Vegas Plane Crash
GA Joint Steering Committee’s CFIT Brochure
AC 61-134 – General Aviation Controlled Flight into Terrain Awareness
NTSB Final Report – Dec 1995 CFIT accident at San Jose, CA
NTSB Final Report – Nov 2007 CFIT accident near Las Vegas
FAA Risk Management Handbook
If you love the show and want more, visit my Patreon page to see fun videos, breaking news, and other posts in the Posts section. And if you decide to make a small donation each month, you can get some goodies!
So You Want To Learn to Fly or Buy a Cirrus seminars
Online Version of the Seminar Coming Soon – Register for Notification
Check out our recommended ADS-B receivers, and order one for yourself. Yes, we’ll make a couple of dollars if you do.
Check out Max’s Online Courses: G1000 VFR, G1000 IFR, and Flying WAAS & GPS Approaches. Find them all at: https://www.pilotlearning.com/
Max Trescott is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.